Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Few Words of 23-year-old Wisdom

This week has been a rough one for me, 
not going to tip-toe around that one.
Homesickness has fully set in, 
and I have been doing everything possible to keep busy.
Luckily the weather has been cooperative,
and I have been able to get out of the house and keep busy.
I have discovered that running is truly crucial to keeping my mind at peace,
while I am battling this nasty bout of homesickness.
It is also a huge help that the beach is near, making beach runs totally doable.
Reminds me of home. 

The other day we walked along the beach as a storm was coming in, 
and as the sun was setting.
I swear, that damn tarp was not there when I took the photo...


or maybe it was? :-D 
And this was definitely a sight I had never seen before...


Mini tornado/water-funnel?
Whatever you want to call it...
it was pretty cool,
and just the slightest bit terrifying.

Today, post storm, I decided to run to the beach,
and was very, very surprised to see about 50 or more guys out on the water..."surfing"!
Up until now, every time I have been to the beach here, it has literally been like a lake.
I thought that there was no way I would ever see anyone attempt to surf it.
But today, with the stormy waters still churning,
I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw all the surfers and could smell the familiar scent of surf wax.
So, needless to say, I took a little break from my run to sit and "observe" ;).
Regardless of the surfers' abilities, or lack there of, 
to surf the mess of what I suppose you could call "waves",
it still felt amazing to just sit and listen to the waves and pass the time.
It was another one of those times when home didn't feel quite so far away.

Also, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around Nettuno!


Another beautiful sunset, complemented by someone's oversized Christmas tree ;).
If you look really closely, you can see the star at the top! (haha...juuust kidding)

Also last week, I ventured to Rome to meet a new friend,
Laura, from Germany.
We spent the day in Rome together, beginning at the Colloseum,
and then wandering the nearby streets.


The inside of the Colosseum was just as spectacular as the google images. ;)
But seriously, it is mind-blowing to me that this structure has been standing for thousands of years.
It is truly one of those moments where you can't help but think,
"if these walls could talk...".


And I would love to know the story behind this fountain...


Because, 
call me crazy, 
but I just don't understand what on earth it could possibly be representing!?
Naked Mer-men is all I could gather.
Maybe I should google it.


This is my new friend, Laura!
We passed this candy shop, and both being chocolate lovers,
just couldn't resist.


Unfortunately, we only made it about three bites into that oh-so-appetizing chocolate snowball,
before we both looked at each other with disgusted looks on our faces,
equally disappointed in our purchase.
I don't know what was in that deceiving chocolate snowball,
but sadly, it just was not as delectable as it led on.

Finally, last week, as I already mentioned,
 I took my first solo trip into Rome.
Up until now, I had visited Rome only during those first couple of days after I arrived, 
and once with Cristina.
Up until now, I had only ventured out alone in Nettuno,
not straying far from the town center, and Cristina's house.

But this time was different. 
I was venturing out on my own,
into the thick of a huge city,
to meet someone I had never met before,
not even 100% sure if I was on the right train or not.

It's not that I was sacred to adventure on my own,
it's just that I was lacking a little bit of confidence.
But I knew, deep down, that sooner or later (preferably sooner),
I was going to need to take that first step, and step out into the world,
truly, on my own.
This is a situation that we all encounter at some point in our lives.
For some, it is much easier to take these steps towards independence,
almost like it comes naturally.
For others (cough, ME, cough), this is something does not come quite as easily,
and really, really, needs to be actively worked at.
Well, let me tell you, the second I stepped onto that train,
and as it left the station,
(and don't worry, it was the right train)
a strange feeling came over me, 
one that was very unfamiliar to me.
A sense of invigorating anticipation and excitement.
And then, I had a very important realization: 
I realized that up until this point in my life, 
the only other emotion that I have felt alongside anticipation is anxiety.
A sense of fear, and dread of the unexpected.

For reasons I may never know,
thinking and talking about the future has always made me want to stuff cotton balls in my ears,
and run as fast as possible in the opposite direction.
A feeling of pure dread.
Obviously, we all know that the future holds a sense of uncertainty,
perhaps even confusion and doubt,
and that there are countless risks involved in planning and making important decisions.
But what I haven't been able to realize,
all this time,
is that everybody feels these things.
And that the difference between those who sit back and let life happen,
versus the people who actually live, and actively participate in life,
depends completely on this.
Learning to look past the anxiety caused by uncertainty about the future,
and instead,
becoming able to feel truly invigorated by the uncertainty.
Some of you might be reading this,
thinking that this is silly,
because you already are an active participant in your own life.
And you may very well be right.
But for those of you who think you might understand what I am talking about,
I am urging you to take a second look.
Do something that truly causes you to feel some sense of uncertainty.
Really, really, take a step outside your comfort zone.
You might find that you are actually just letting life happen.
And if you do, in fact, find that to be the case,
do something different. 
Change.


So, as I am sitting here,
watching the sun set once again on this beautiful town of Nettuno,

I can't help but remember that this journey, and life for that matter,
is a never ending process.
Growth can really only happen when we push ourselves outside of our comfort zones.
Even if it is little by little,
it is something we cannot forget to do.
Otherwise, we risk becoming the old, wrinkled, bitter, angry neighbor that yells at the neighbor kids when they play on your lawn.
Do you really want to be the grandparent that nobody wants to be around?
Because I sure don't.

Well, now that I've practically let you all in on the workings of my brain,
and shared my yoda-like wisdom and life secrets,
I hope that you don't find a way to somehow use it against me.
I guess that's just another risk I will have to take thought, right? ;)

And OH! I almost forgot!
Talk about taking a step outside comfort zones!!
My own Mother, yes, the one and only Coco,
has (without anyone pushing her) decided to come visit me!!
Accompanied by my fabulous aunt Margie, the pair will be venturing to Italia in the end of January,
and returning home with me on Febuary 8th. 
This news could not possibly have come at a better time for me,
and I am already counting down the days where I get to see their beautiful faces!
It is going to be spectacular, simply spectacular.
I have to say, that I think I might just have THE BEST family in the world.
Sorry everybody else, mine wins.

Alright my friends, family, and whoever is in Alaska reading my blog,
I'm over and out.
Until next time...

Peace, Love, and Pasta!!!

(or this incredibly delicious fresh Zucchini and Bell Pepper Risotto that I made for myself yesterday!!! YUMMMMMM)



Ciao!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment