Friday, November 25, 2011

Where There's a Will, There's a Way

Well, everyone, I found Jesus.
The Baby Jesus, actually.
"Gesu Bambino."
Literally.
Last week, I participated in a religious pilgrimage, 
of sorts.
It was quite the experience.
And I know you are just DYING to see the Baby Jesus, right?
Ok, well I won't keep him from you for any longer.


There he is.
The Baby Jesus.

For those of you who know me, you know that I am not exactly "religious".
I don't have any problems or judgements on those who are.
In fact, I have a lot of respect for people who have religious faith,
I just have never been one of them.
For me, religion is like football-
Something I have tried to understand time, and time again,
but I just can't get a clean grasp on it.
I just have never been able to connect with any religion in a strong way.
That being said,
I was miffed by this whole scenario.

Every day, THOUSANDS of people travel to this sanctuary,
located high in the mountains of Italy, virtually in the middle of nowhere.
Where they come to wait in line for HOURS,
to kneel and pray in front of the Baby Jesus.
Cristina says they are praying for miracles,
and that it is reported that they often happen.
(As in, somebody who is very ill and unable to walk can suddenly walk again.)

I'll give you a better idea of just how big of a deal this is...



This was very, very, interesting to me.
All of these people, coming together, and coming to this place,
all for the same reason.
Praying for a miracle.
You can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, they will find what they are looking for.
As foreign as this experience was to me,
this is the kind of thing I came here for.
To open my eyes to other people's culture, and lives.
Obviously, I knew that religion, Catholicism in particular,
is a very big part of Italian culture.
I was just unaware of how important it is to some people.
Cristina and I talked a little bit about it together,
and while she is of the Catholic faith,
she does not believe as strongly as most Italians.
Luckily, she is very accepting of me and my religion, or lack there of,
and asks me questions with an open mind about what I do, or don't believe.
It was surprising to me that she was unaware that in the U.S. religion is not taught in public schools.
Not everybody is so accepting of my indifferent attitude towards religion though, I am finding,
so it may just be in my own best interest to keep my mouth shut from here on out.
Needless to say,
though I am not entirely sure yet what I may have gained from this experience,
one thing I am certain of is that I will never, ever forget it.
That I am sure of.

Speaking of unforgettable moments, there is no doubt in my mind that this one will be in the top 10 of unforgettable life moments...


After a long day in Rome with Cristina, working out logistics for her new job,
walking, waiting...walking, waiting...and some more waiting...
she rewarded me with a trip to the Colosseum!
We took the metro to get there, and if there was a way I could have captured this moment for you, I would have. But it was simply one of those moments where words and pictures just don't do it justice.
As we exited the metro station, through the chaos of Italians going about their daily lives,
there it was. Impossible to miss.
Imagine walking out of the subway station, and being welcomed by this magnificent sight,
less than 50 yards from where we were standing. 
It literally stopped me in my tracks. 
Cristina looked at me, with my jaw dropped and smiled.
"Beautiful!" she said, "Even after seeing it 100 times, it's like every time is the first time."

So, we walked around the Colosseum for a while,
taking in it's beauty, and incredible history.
All the while trying to avoid the creepy half-naked "gladiators" trying to woo us into giving them money to have them tell us some hokey story.
No thanks, I have Wikipedia for that.
In the areas around the Colosseum there are many other amazing ruins, and museums, 
and breathtaking sights.
Reluctantly, I will share my corny thoughts with you-
The whole time we were exploring the area, I couldn't help but think of all the history,
the ancient Romans who stood where I was standing.
Ruling one of the most amazing empires to ever exist.
Corny, I know.
But you know that you would be thinking the same things...
it's hard not to.


There are beautiful horses all around Rome,
anxiously awaiting to take unassuming tourists on a horse and carriage ride around this beautiful city.
(Though I have yet to actually see one in action...)


Another exciting excursion from the past week-
Fabio's wild starfish hunt.
(Obviously you can see from the photo below that he was successful.)


The whole thing started with a regular trip to the harbor,
nothing out of the ordinary there.
We went just to pass the time, look at boats, and window shop...
that is, until Fabio spotted the all too appealing starfish in the water below.
Our leisurely trip to the harbor turned into a full blown starfish hunt.
He quickly decided that his aquarium would just not be complete without one.
For about 2 hours, wheels spun in Fabio's head about just how to catch one of these wild creatures.
A bucket and some rope, it was decided, would do the trick.
The water (and the starfish) was about 10 feet below the edge of the harbor's dock.
Carefully, and swiftly, after these items had been acquired, Fabio climbed down to the water,
(we found a ladder that reached the water's edge),
where low and behold, he caught this untamed, ferocious, starfish.
(Which now sits happily in his aquarium with other ferocious fish.)

OK, so I know what you are thinking now-
What about the food? I have yet to post anything about food in this novel of a post.
Well my friends, let me just say,
 that you have not actually tasted pasta until you have had homemade pasta.
HOMEMADE PASTA!?
I didn't even know there was such a thing!
But, there is. And it is, in fact, like any other homemade dish-
198943 times better than any store bought food.
(And this is only HALF of what we ate!)


Cristina's mother prepared a fettuccine lunch for us, and the rest of her family.
It was a beautiful lunch, and a beautiful day.
Cristina's sister and her baby, Gabrielle, were there, which made it all the more beautiful.


Beach Babies girls, I know you will appreciate this...
Look a that blue eyed beauty!
Doesn't that smile just make you melt!?
And so much personality for a little three month old!
Beautiful baby boy, I can't wait to watch him grow over the next few months! <3


Lastly, while I missed Thanksgiving in the states :( :( :( ,
Cristina and I have been preparing our own Thanksgiving here in Italia!
It was scheduled to be this past Saturday, but unfortunately we have had to postpone it for a week or two. Apparently getting a turkey in Italy is not as easy as going to the store and picking one up...haha.
Not to mention, their ovens are about half the size of our ovens back in the US...
not ideal for turkey cooking!
So, for our Thanksgiving day feast, we settled on the next best thing...nachos, burritos, and beer!!
Irish beer to be exact...which surprisingly complements mexican food quite well!


I was sure that mexican food would be hard to come by in Italy,
which is why I stuffed my face with it before I came here.
Only to find that they do in fact sell tortillas, and beans, and enough ingredients for me to make what you could, at least, call a pseudo-burrito.
Now, you may think I am crazy for passing up authentic Italian cuisine for a Mexican menu,
but don't you worry, Italian is of course, my preferred choice.
But there is something comforting about the idea that I can still make a bean and cheese burrito,
even when I am thousands of miles from home.

As I am nearing my third week of my journey,
if there is one thing I can say I have learned about Italians since I have been here,
is that they are a truly determined and ambitious crowd.
It seems as though they live by the saying:
"where there's a will, there's a way".
They are optimistic in every sense,
strong willed, and outspoken.
Lazy does not exist in their vocabulary.
From their strong religious beliefs, to Fabio's wild starfish hunt,
to Crisina's mother's homemade fettuccine...
it seems as though this is proving to be a common trait among all the people I meet.
Admirable, and I can only hope that it rubs off on me!!

This week, while it has been fun-filled, exciting, and adventurous,
I've had my first taste of homesickness.
I knew it wouldn't take long, and I know it's not going to get any easier.
I miss my family, and my friends, and my puppy,
so much.
But, I've also been overwhelmed with the feeling that I am exactly where I should be,
 at exactly the time I should be here.
While I am still not sure what I am going to find on this adventure,
I am already learning new things about myself.
I am already becoming aware of what is really important in life,
and how to better appreciate it.
I know that there is much, much, more to learn,
and that I have only just now embarked on the tip of the iceberg.
But, despite the already present homesickness,
I am filled with excitement and anticipation for what lies ahead.

Well, there's just a little peek into my soul for ya ;)

So my friends,
Until next time...

peace, love, and HOMEMADE Pasta!!!
Ciao!
<3


1 comment:

  1. Absolutely fabulous Allison! I loved every word of it!
    Mama

    ReplyDelete