Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lesson #1: Read the menu before ordering...

I MADE IT! After 20 hours of traveling and three looooong flights, I'm here. In Roma. Sono qui.
And let me tell you, it was quite the journey. The sunrise leaving LAX on Wednesday was spectacular.


The flight? Not so much. I had a nice Argentinean couple next to me, who didn't speak a lick of English.
But they were trying to ask me questions, and apparently my Spanish is a liiiittle rusty, because they just nodded their heads and looked confusingly at each other. 
This was a little discouraging because I was hoping that my Spanish background would help me with learning Italian...but I guess that's out the window. 
Miami to NY was better. I met a new friend, Alex (who is probably reading this right now...hey Alex!). 
It was nice to pass the time chatting, while we circled JFK about 52 times waiting to land.
And finally JFK to ROME. That was a long and bumpy flight...'nuff said!

But the important thing, is that I made it to Rome. And so did my luggage. Wohoo! :)
When I got my bag and walked confusingly out of the baggage claim and onto the street, I was flagged down by a man asking me if I needed help. Hesitantly, I said..."Kinda", with every intention of running away as fast as I could if he so much as glanced at me the wrong way.
Instead, he was offering me a relatively good deal for shuttling me as well as about 7 others directly to our hotels. And my tired and confused self, said "OK!"
On the shuttle I met a girl, Stella, from Sweeden. She was very nice, and was just in town for the weekend. Must be nice, huh? To take a weekend trip to Rome, because you are only a 2 hour flight away. If only.

So, we continued chatting, and I wish I would have gotten her info, because she seemed like a really cool person! Very well traveled, and for some reason she reminded me of one of my good friends back home. (I'm talking about you Keansie!). She told me a funny story about American stereotypes, involving fanny packs, muffin tops, and white chocolate cheesecake.
Pretty hilariously self explanatory, right?
I thought so too.

So finally, I arrived at my hotel. And they were nice enough to check me in early. I think that they recognized the fact that I was about to keel over at any second from being so tired.
So I rested, and then went out for some pizza.
I guess I didn't rest quite long enough though, because after I found my pizza place, I grazed the menu, then frugally ordered the cheapest pizza and wine on the menu.


Looks good right?
Look again, near the top, where that massive pile of anchovies congregated. (More like I singly picked them off and put them in a pile).
For those of you who know me well, you know I am not particularly fond of fish.
But, guess what I did?
I choked down half of that pizza with my delicious Italian vino, and then politely asked for the check.
After all, I didn't want to be rude.

With the taste of anchovies still in my mouth, I bolted outta that place, and off I went.
I wandered around the streets near my hotel, which just so happens to be about 100 meters from the Spanish steps.


They are pretty amazing. Quite touristy though...and to avoid making myself an obvious target for  pickpocket, I didn't hang around there for very long.
So after wandering for a while, I found myself back in my hotel room, dozing in and out of writing this post actually, and watching Italian Glee to try to stay awake as long as possible.
But now, my tiredness is winning.

So, buena note from Roma!
Or, to all my friends and family on the West Coast, Buongiorno!
Peace, Love, and (hopefully never again anchovy) Pizza!

OH! And one more thing to add to my list of things I am expecting while living in Italy...to get hit by a car!!! They drive like MANIACS here!!!
Lets cross our fingers for that one not to come true though...

Arrivederci!!

2 comments:

  1. Yayy you made it!! Felicitazioni! (hope I spelled
    It correctly) I look forward to reading more.

    -Bri

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you made it to Italy! Their pizza is yummy, just have to order the right one :) hope you keep making more friends, look at you adventure girl! Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete